Help with armoured conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been advised to protect some 240v mains cable with armoured conduit in a workshop to avoid damage to the cable and potential electric shock.

The question is what size of conduit do I need and what other fittings would be required.

We have a bench drill and a hobby lathe, they are hard wired into switched sockets, so I am not sure how to fix the conduit at either end?

It's either armoured conduit or change the cable to armoured cable, however a sparky mate of mine says the conduit should do the trick.

Any advice would be most welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Some sparks like conduit other SWA, I prefer SWA as easier to fit, and it allows re-positioning items to a small extent without fitting new conduit.

Steel conduit I will admits looks better, but you need the machine to bend it and skill to use the machine. Only exception is when buried in concrete, can run new cables in conduit but SWA needs replacing if damaged.

What's armoured conduit?

Do you mean metal galvanised or black enamel round conduit?

Who says it needs doing?

Metal trunking may be another option.

Sponsored Links
If it's only from the switch to the machine, dare I mention the dreaded SY flex?
You can certainly mention it (and have done :) ), but I suspect that it might not satisfy the person who wants 'armour' - one imagines as much for 'mechanical protection' as for 'electrical safety'?

Kind Regards, John

Yes, we know the various limitations of SY flex, least of all the fact is not even officially recognised.

Has it's uses though, and quite easy for a layman to install, as long as the armour is correctly earthed.

That's if it would be suitable for the op. Chances are it won't be.

I won't mention it again :D.

Is this the machine flexes you are being told to upgrade? (ie the bit from wall outlet to machine)? If so then flexible conduit is the only sensible option IMHO. Is this a workplace or a home setup? Is there any RCD protection on the supplies to the machines?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back