What are your thoughts on this work?

Thanks for all your feedback.

Yes i think a bucket placed over the top should keep the water out but do the regs suggest an optimum size for this... and what about colour i quite like the B&Q orange ones...... :D

Will get a couple more pics today as it was too dark last night, and i dont want to be wondering around a wet garden in the dark with live cables around... :eek:

Sponsored Links
(good workmanship by competant persons or persons under their supervision must do the work and also that you must follow the manufacturers instructions, nearly all if not all items of eletrical equipements instructions say that that the item must be installed by a qualified/competant person.)

;)

Ok view of inside the box.

He wants payment in full before returning to do the conduit, only after payment will he issue the certificates - is this correct ?

The other cable is an alarm cable, and a pull string (just in-case I wanted to 'try' and pull another alarm cable, or video coax through at a later date).

Im not an electrician, but would it not have been better to mount the box on a wooden steak, then run the original cable and the new Armoured cable up to it going in the box from the bottom, at least this would make it more weather proof, and when the new shed is in place there is enough slack to put the box and cables on the inside?

Sponsored Links
That installation leaves me more than happy with what I installed DIY at a friend's house last week - certificate or not!

Couple of things: grey not sheathed to indicate neutral; shouldn't be running alarm wiring into same enclosure as 230V cables (in fact shouldn't be in the same conduit); bending radius of cable is probably what's broke the top lug on the box; and he's left you with a tripping hazard.

Not sure what the black tape's doing round the locknut of the bottom gland (?) Though it shouldn't matter now as it'll leak like a sieve anyway.

If it was me I wouldn't want him back, but you've paid him now (or have you???). If he comes back note the way he left the screw slots pointing vertically!

I'm a little confused about the feeding arrangement - you talk about the SWA being for an adjacent shed, and then say it's for one 100ft away?

might be worth pulling back the shroud to see if its a 'cw' gland.

slightly concerned as to why the t&e is old colours too.

He wants payment in full before returning to do the conduit, only after payment will he issue the certificates - is this correct?
No - the job is not complete until it has been tested and the certificate with schedule of test results given to you.

So he is asking you to pay him in full before he has finished the job.

Plus he couldn't issue you with a cert for that as it doesn't comply with regs!

Or if he did it would be incompetence or fraud.

I'm not conviced that this is the work of an electrician. I think the O/P might have had a hand in it: where that conduit houses LV and ELV together and particularly where a draw-string has been fitted for future use (as if that conduit with those bends could possibly accomodate such drawiing in!).

Lucia.

Thanks for all your feedback,

As yet he has not been back to collect his money, but also I do not have a certificate......

Let's have a photo of the interior of that plastic IP55 box - and in particular the arrangement for earth continuity from one cable to the other....

Lucia.

If you enlarge the open box, you will see that he has used the brown for power, the grey for neutral, and, the 'Black' for the earth.. I would therfore suspect that the sheath of the cable has no earthing protection at all. The white cables going into the conduit are not yet connected.

He has used what looks like an M6 steel screw for the banjo earth which over time will rust. Should be brass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back