What are your thoughts on this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had some work done outside the work involves:

A power feed went direct into a shed that has since been removed.

So we wanted the armoured cable that comes underground out of the house and under the concrete base of the old shed that has been removed (concrete base on the right with the white conduit) cut, then re-connected to new armoured cable which then runs into the adjacent shed where a new consumer unit has been fitted.
The armoured cable you can see in the pic feeds another outbuilding approx 100ft away.
He has run armoured cable inside the adjacent shed, it's then cut into the concrete and goes direct into the little waterproof box in the pic. The original cable was then exposed by cutting the conduit and connecting into the weatherproof box.

The sparkys response is that the conduit was an afterthought on our behalf, and the circuit is protected by an RCD so it's not a problem.

The points he is missing is;
1. the cable should have been protected in conduit a matter of standard good working practise, as it is exposed to weather.
2. if the cable is damaged the cost to repair will be considerable - call-out charge, cable joint kit and new cable, in the country animals could damage the cable.

I asked him again to put the cable in conduit, He wants payment in full before returning - I've told him to return and complete the original job.

What are your thoughts

Sponsored Links
Let's have a photo of the interior of that plastic IP55 box - and in particular the arrangement for earth continuity from one cable to the other....

Lucia.

I would be concerned about the mechanical protection issue, have you had a certificate yet?

So you say 1john - but that protection is easily remedied by placing an upturned bucket over the whole lot.

It certainly isn't pretty, but the main concern here is the state of the interior joints in that plastic box - particularly the method of maintaining earth continuity between cables.....

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
Earth continuity I bet is via the banjo nut ;)

For me I'd have at the very least used a short length of copex between the conduit & adaptable box.

I've already said that it's not pretty, I 've also implied that it all needs covering up.

Because of its outward scruffy nature, I'm more interested in the earth continuity between cables within that IP box, just in case it's just as scruffy.....

Lucia.

Chances are if it looks bad outside it will be worse inside.

What kind of cable is that coming out of the conduit and where does it go?

That earth looks a bit thin as well and doesn't look like a regular cable either.

Whole thing looks pretty shoddy, the conduit is not sealed, as other have said no mechanical protection, gland not watertight. If you're taking more photos how about a couple of the new wiring inside the shed too?

I think it's green but it looks well dodgy. I forgot to mention the bit of tape, real touch of class - it's not even in harmonised colours! (but red for danger I suppose!) Also what is the red 'wire' on the ground? And has the tag holding the box to the wall snapped?

RF lighting, have you done a secret picture of the week!? :LOL:

The sparkys response is that the conduit was an afterthought on our behalf, and the circuit is protected by an RCD so it's not a problem.
A dangerous response.

RCDs are there to provide additional protection; they are not a substitute for doing the job properly. Sadly, some people believe that they are a fix all solution to a poor installation, and therefore cut corners and install rubbish, because 'it's got an RCD on it'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back