Conduit colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a requirement for conduit colours in a domestic house
im currently moving walls around at the moment and I wish to put in conduit to run cables then get the sparky in to wire up once I've decide finally where everything goes
Alarms
Data / internet / networking.
240v
12/24 v
audio / visual cables (speakers, satellite)

Is there a rule for running the different cables or would it just be best practice to use something to identifiy the conduit i.e electral tape wrapped round the normal white conduit

Sponsored Links
No rules whatsoever mate. But marking them for your own benefit would be a good idea. :)

Comon practice is to run data cables seperately to power cables to prevent interference, and i personally would run elv(12/24v) in its own as well.

im currently moving walls around at the moment and I wish to put in conduit to run cables then get the sparky in to wire up once I've decide finally where everything goes
Pay particular attention to the last link - if you use steel conduit for lighting switch drops you can avoid having the lights on RCDs, if you want, ditto any specific labelled sockets.

And you really should get your electrician involved at the start, as there's more than just the routes to consider when doing the design, and you'll be expecting the electrician to sign to say that he did that part, so expecting him to just take responsibility for your fait accompli is unreasonable, and might not work.

Don't forget to pay close attention to the significant voltage drop considerations on ELV circuits - the cable sizes you need might mean larger conduit than you first thought.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back