What size cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to run two cables from the house, both around 25m long....... One is for a 'man-shed' at the bottom of the garden, the other to the front drive for an outdoor socket (hoovers etc) and an electric gate motor.

Was going to use 10mm 3 core armoured for the shed and 2.5mm 3 core armoured for the front. Does this sound right??

I'll probably get some one in to connect/check but thought i'd do the donkey work my self for free :)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you are actually intending to have someone connect it up, I would have them quote on the job and confirm the trench locations, dig out the trenches (the 'donkey work') then have them throw the cable in the hole, and connected it all up, with you back filling it.

If your planning to run it along a fence, or otherwise not bury it, just let them do the lot.

Last thing you want is to buy a load of cable and then have then refuse to connect it up, or need another foot to get it to where it needs to be for regs, or whatever. Imo.

If however your planning to connect it up on your own, and need to know cable sizes for that reason, as said, while run length, earth type, routing, etc all play a part, what you want to run in the shed is a big part of it.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Was going to use 10mm 3 core armoured for the shed and 2.5mm 3 core armoured for the front. Does this sound right??
10mm is probably too large.
2.5mm is likely too small, and for an electric gate various other cables will be required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back