Cable sizes for a Mira Sport 10.8 KW

DRM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When installing a Mira Sport 10.8 kW shower heater and providing 10mm T&E from a 50 amp fuse & RCD at the meter, is it acceptable to use 6mm T&E for the final section from the pull switch to the heater?

This final section would be run in plastic trunking along with the copper supply pipe on the surface of the tiles from ceiling level.

Also if copper tube is used for the water supply, will a seperate earth bonding cable be required in this trunking?

I ask all this because of the extra space that would be required required in the trunking.

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Just a quick note, this work is notifiable in England and Wales and this must be done BEFORE you start.

DRM said:
When installing a Mira Sport 10.8 kW shower heater and providing 10mm T&E from a 50 amp fuse & RCD at the meter, is it acceptable to use 6mm T&E for the final section from the pull switch to the heater?

No it isn't! Have you considered all possible de-rating factors before fitting 10mm² cable on a 50A MCB?

DRM said:
Also if copper tube is used for the water supply, will a seperate earth bonding cable be required in this trunking?

The whole bathroom will require supplementary bonding. Info is in the WIKI.

tie wrap it to the cold water pipe will act as a great heatsink and take away all that excess heat that running a cable over it's rated capacity will create... :rolleyes:

BTW...THAT WAS A JOKE!!!! ^^^^^^^^

DRM said:
This final section would be run in plastic trunking along with the copper supply pipe on the surface of the tiles from ceiling level.

This is possibly NOT a good idea. The cold water pipe will be soaked with water from condensed steam and this water may then run down the electric cable and may get as far as the terminal block in the shower unit.

Being constantly damp also shortens the life of ordinary PVC cable.

Sponsored Links
FAO: Davy_Owen?
Davy
I am about to install the same shower. Please advise what you mean by the work being notifiable and to whom.
Thanks
Mike

FAO: DRM

Hi
Can you let me know what type of fitting you used to connect the water supply to the plastic inlet on the shower?
I am installing the same shower and unsure if I should use a compression tap connector type or a standard compression fitting.
I'd be grateful for your comments.
Thanks
Mike

Both the copper pipe and the cable are best routed behind the tiles in a dry environment. If that cable is subject to any moisture it must have a drip loop, which is going to very awkard to achieve with a 10mm cable above the appliance. This is not a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back