Cable sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a 32A fuse at the board for the cooker/hob circuit which is run with 6mm cable. If this fuse were to be changed to a 40A (double oven and hob make 32 a close call - especially at xmas as everyone seems to want to point out!!) do I need to change the cable to 10mm. I know I would have to if I moved to a 45A fuse but not sure where the line is drawn so to speak.

cheers all

Justin

Sponsored Links
Although many people will start shouting......

6mm is rated to 46amp clipped direct/bunched/laying on a surface.

In trunk, it would be about 38amps, so you would need 10mm.

If you run through thermal insulation, the correction factors would force you to use 16mm!

To calculate correctly for you, we would need length of run, how it is installed, MCB type, Ze etc.

I'm in a top floor flat and so the wires run through the loft just lying on the joists along with all the other cables, for about 5metres before heading down to the cooker switch, so no more than 1.5 metres in the wall. Will have to check the MCB etc when I get home as I can't remember off the top of my head.

At least if I need to change the cable they're easy to get to ! But even easier if I don't have to !!

Cheers for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back