cable tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if the cable that carries the cable TV signal is the same as co-axial and can therefore be jointed or connected to a splitter in a similar fashion?

Sponsored Links
Can anyone tell me if the cable that carries the cable TV signal is the same as co-axial and can therefore be jointed or connected to a splitter in a similar fashion?

Yes for cable tv you can use rg59 coax cable as it's low loss,i did when we got an aditional set top box in the bedroom.

Its RG6, electrically very similar to the CT100 you might use for televison use, it can be jointed with an 'F' barrel connector if termined into 'F' plugs, or split with a suitable splitter

All work on NTL's network should be carried out by their own teams though, read your contract of service ;) , they won't be happy if you start connecting so called 'low loss coax' from wickes into it...

Its RG6, electrically very similar to the CT100 you might use for televison use, it can be jointed with an 'F' barrel connector if termined into 'F' plugs, or split with a suitable splitter

All work on NTL's network should be carried out by their own teams though, read your contract of service ;) , they won't be happy if you start connecting so called 'low loss coax' from wickes into it...

i ran in rg59 while re decorating as i saw the mess ntl engineers left in the home i purchased and yes ntl done the final connections without any problems still works a treat :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
They made a right mess when installing my broadband run the coax under the carpet accross two doorways and clipped it arround the frame. Also the lazy sod wouldnt drill the wall aparently as they are not insured to drill timber walls.
I belive the cable they use is made by WEBRO in Germany and very high quality better than FT100.
Dont use ordinary low loss its just not good enough for digital signals.

I told my installer I like to move the TV round the room, and he left me a long lead coiled up behind the TV. I suppose about 6m of slack.

Oh NTL what a bunch of lazzy tossers they are....

At my previous house they brought it into the under stairs cupboard, drilled through the staircase, pinned it around the door frame, drilled through the wall ran it along the wall around the front of the fire place and then to the TV. It looked fecking sh1te!!!!!!!!!

When I got home I had a dicky fit, phoned them up threatened to sue for wilful damage to property and that they had better fix it the next day.

They called back and said I could direct the fellows to it exactly as I wished - so I did

From the junction box, burried in the flower bed, up the side of the house buried in the flower bed, across the front of the lawn - dug up neatly and relaced - through the wall (Solid concrete with re bar!!) then a nice neat termination on the exterior wall.

Remove and make good the damage they had done.

Not a cup of tea in site, ****ing it down outside, clay soil so covered in crap, then the misses made them remove their shoes when they came inside.

4 hours it took them.

Got rid of NTL at the end of 12 months, subsequently my brother worked as a fault finder for them, they owed him about £4000 in pay as times were tough then - When they failed to pay him for a 4th month he gave everyone the entire NTL channels, changed the passwords and went home.

It took them 2 days to realise and they had to pay up and negotiated a cracking deal for him to leave, not bad for a spotty 19 year old

Computer boffin now

many thanks to all who responded to my query. It is very much appreciated that you took the time to do so.

Zorro

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back