Cable type & regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for what may be a dim question, but what's the easiest way to identify whether a cable is 10mm or 6mm ? Our 8.5kw electric shower needs replacing & I'd like to go for more oomph if the electrics allow !

Just changing a shower unit get affected by the new electric regs ? or does the fact that the cabling is unchanged means that it doesn't ?

Thanks all, TP

Sponsored Links
best way to do it, is pop down to your local DIY store and get some small bits of 10mm and 6mm and that way you can compare.

The Earth In 6mm2 T&E Is Solid,
The Earth In 10mm2 T&E Is Stranded, :confused:

tallpaulunderwood said:
Just changing a shower unit get affected by the new electric regs ? or does the fact that the cabling is unchanged means that it doesn't ?

Rooms containing a bath or shower are considered special locations by both BS 7671 and the Building Regulations. Officially, that is...

Sponsored Links
swapping a shower is replacement work so isn't notifyable

changing the breaker technically may not count though.

as it stands right now any contract agreed before the end of last year is expemt which for diyers at least probablly means you are pretty safe up to march.

it remains to be seen whether part P will be enforced or not.

also afaict with building regs in general not notifying but not otherwise doing anything dangerous isn't generally considered to be a major offence.

finally napit sparks unlike niceic sparks ARE allowed to sign off on others work.

As I understand it even though you are doing replacement, because it is in a special area it is subject to the new regs.

From the NICEIC web site:-

What is a ‘special installation or location'?

The following are classified as special installations or locations:

• locations containing a bath tub or shower basin

• swimming pools or paddling pools

• hot air saunas

• garden lighting or power installations

• solar photovoltaic power supply systems

• electric floor or ceiling heating systems

• extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE- marked lighting sets

• small scale generators such as microCHP units

All electrical installation work in such areas (as well as in kitchens) will need to be notified, or self-certified by a prescribed competent person, even if only 'minor works'.

minor works in those areas are notifyable replacement of accessories is not.

I guess that depends upon how you interpret "All" in the clause:-

All electrical installation work in such areas (as well as in kitchens) will need to be notified, or self-certified by a prescribed competent person, even if only 'minor works'

I think this is part of the problem, they are not exactly clear cut.

I don't have my dog-eared and tea stained copy of part P with me, but that did not sound like the correct wording, nstreet. The original sets up classes of things which are location restricted, and which are not. Replacement of accessories is not.

Not guilty of the wording, maybe this is the NICEIC's interpretation of part 'P' as it is a direct lift from their website.

I'm just going from what I have read. If that is incorrect then I apologise.

All,

Thanks for your posts. Paulh53, thanks in particular for yours, it has a solid earth, so I guess it's 6mm which, I think, limits me to 8.5kw (?)

I'll nip down to B&Q just to check by comparing other cables to be certain when I've finally discarded this sodding flu. :cry:

From the sickbed, TP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back