Cables in an insulated stud

Sponsored Links
The cables should be run in 'safe zones' when concealed within walls: //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls ... From the photo it doesn't seem that they are?
Indeed - and what is that box the cables are going into - is that going to be buried in the wall? If so, assuming it contains 'connections', that's probably not going to be compliant, either.

Kind Regards, John

what is that box the cables are going into - is that going to be buried in the wall?
Looks like a socket backbox to me, so likely to accessible.

But depending on how the stud wall is finished off and if there is going to be an additional partition/stud erected to bring the cables into the safe zones then there seems to be an issue. Also by leaving the area uninsulated are you compromising the reason for insulation?
As is stands with regards to derating factors, I would say that dissipation of heat should not be an issue, but the cable is routed incorrectly on the bare facts indicated by the picture.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a socket backbox to me, so likely to accessible.
Thanks - Ah, so it is (and a pretty shallow one at that) - a trip to Specsavers may be indicated :) [in truth, I think I suffered from a bit of an 'optical illusion', since the way I looked at it, it appeared to have a metal 'top' to it - i.e. a complete 'box' - which is why I asked what it was! ]

Kind Regards, John

Table 4A2 shows installation methods 100 to 103 and to comply with 100 or 102 the cable must touch the outer plaster board. Putting a bit of wood which will be next to plaster board with cables on it would it seems comply with 100 or 102 but the main point is a way for the cable to get rid of heat.

I would have fixed the cables to the first bit of plaster board likely simple duck tape the whole point is to ensure it's touching the plaster board not floating mid way between the insulation.

Active word is touching.

PrenticeBoyofDerry";p="3137200 said:
Also by leaving the area uninsulated are you compromising the reason for insulation?

It's an external wall which was uninsulated as it was a garage. I'm knocking it into a games room for the kids and to be fair I'd rather have 100mm of it uninsulated than have to derate or increase cable size.

The wall between the house and garage had been insulated and had two sockets with cables dropped in the partition certainly not touching or fixed to any plasterboard.

I'd rather have 100mm of it uninsulated than have to derate or increase cable size.
Why?

What drives you to decide that to avoid having to do the electrical installation properly you'll not do the thermal insulation properly?

Why would you rather have cold spots and possible condensation issues just because you can't be rsed to put the right cables in?

Do Building Control agree with you?

From the photo it doesn't seem that they are?
From the photo there is no doubt whatsoever that they are not.

My response was written in this manner as there may have been factors which were not apparent from the original photos. This now appears to be the case (additional partition wall).

What steel beam?

I assume the one I have highlighted with a pink line in the photo? The new wall would form an internal corner within 150mm of the cable.

View media item 78924

Ah - I thought that was a piece of wood. Even looks like it has a grain.

If he puts the partition in the right place then the cables will be within 150mm of the corner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back