Cables in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please explain the rules - if there are any - for cables in ceilings?
I know that there aren’t “zones” like walls. Does this mean I can bury wires anywhere? I suspect not...

Sponsored Links
Essentially there are no zones. If my recollection is correct, the only thing is that when they go through a joist they need to be at least 50mm away from the ceiling.

What do you mean by 'bury'.
If you mean you have a concrete ceiling, I wouldn't start chasing that.

Usually cables are just laid anywhere 'above' the ceiling (through the joists if going that way).

It’s plaster on metal lath, in a flat. The original light wiring is in conduit fitted before the lath was done.

I’m installing smoke alarms. One option is simply to chase the plaster as far as the lath, but there wouldn’t be much plaster covering the cable. So I was wondering if there are any rules about e.g. minimum depth of cables, requirement for protection, etc.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back