Is there a "permitted zone" for the ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to add a couple of wall lights to my living room.

I'm going to take the wiring from my existing ceiling lights.

I know about the 150mm "permitted zone" for running the cable straight up from the wall lights but wondered if there is a recognised route for getting the cable from the top of the wall to the centre of the room where the existing lights are?

Is it just a case of going whichever way is easiest or do I go around the permitted zone at the top of the wall until I'm perpendicular to the light and go straight out across the ceiling? Or is there a different permitted zone for ceilings?

I've done a bit of Googling but couldn't find a specific answer to this apart from the fact that people seem to prefer running via the ceiling rather than the 'permitted zone' as there's less chance of the cables getting drilled through etc?

Many thanks for any help you can give me. :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That's great guys. Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. Very much appreciated.

Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back