Permitted Zones, loft interior - Wall or ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have treated the interior surface of a roof as if it were a wall for cable routing purposes i.e run within permitted zones etc, but wondered what other people did....as depending on the roof pitch, some roofs are much more ceilings than they are walls...

Sponsored Links
If I understand your question correctly then you're talking about exposed cables in the loft, in which case safe zones need not apply. You can clearly see where the cables run, unlike if they were buried in a wall.

I wouldn't blame you for perhaps traying the cables or clipping to ensure they remain above any insulation and away from the plasterboard of the room below, it's quite likely that someone might drill there in the future to fit downlights. However, observing vertical/horizontal routes from an accessory in the loft seems like overkill, and there must surely be situations where this wouldn't be possible.

Cable fix behind the dawf stud walls and on the dormer walls where dormer style loft conversions done.

I've never seen a loft conversion that carries the slope of the roof element of the wall ceiling direct to the floor line.

By clipping to the inside of the dawf studs you avoid routing that will interfere with the kingspan / insulation between the studs. By clipping on the studs at 450mm from the floor line it also allows clearance from the 200mm++ insulation blanket within the eves.

The ceilings (be they flat or slope) tend to be 150 or 200 x 50mm and clipping again needs to be 100mm+ away from the ceiling line to avoid the kingspan / rockwool insulation.

No, sorry.. yet again I have been less than clear in the question I was asking... I will try to do better!

What I should have said was Loft conversion..

Sponsored Links
Chri5> yes dwarf walls are no problem.... it's really where -for example, lighting circuits are run up the side of rafters... or (in a bathrooom I am doing at the moment) for the humidity sensor that is fitted in the apex of the roof...

Similarly, lofts conversions can give rise to some very strange wall/ ceiling angles (the one I am doing at the moment has some very odd features (4 distinct roofs meet at one point over the stairwell for example)..in these circumstances, it seems a question of judgement as to whether you treat the surface as a wall or ceiling..

Re. insulation> We have started to use a combination of 75mm Cellotex and a BBA approved multi-foil called Thinsulex which in combination with a 25mm battten meets the required insulation value.. and has made it possible to clip cable runs along rafters with adequate space around them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back