electrics in roof space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed an interior wall on the top storey (below the attic) of my house which contained the electrics for that floor - once the wall was removed the cables and switches were left suspended in the middle of the room, coming up through floorboards from the floor below, and going up into the ceiling/loft. Now the whole of the top floor is one room, and I propose to reroute the cables and switches against a side wall. The side wall is solid and vertical up to about shoulder height, then it meets the roof and slopes in up to the ceiling. I'm proposing to send the cables through the c.10cm ventilation space between the roof and the sloping ceiling, and then stick them back into the room through a hole where the sloping ceiling meets the vertical wall. Anything wrong with doing this? The main thing that I can think is that the ventilation space (and therefore the cables) will get cold in winter. Also, the junction boxes which were fixed into the interior wall are now loose (i.e. not attached to anything) in the attic. Are there any regs governing how they should be fixed/boxed in? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Cables like being cold. Make sure you use crimps to extend the cables, OR re-run the whole length of cable. Any non-crimped joints have to be accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back