locating downlighter junction-boxes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wiring up converted loft, No access from above the ceiling as its a flat roof above. I thought best approach was to run separate cables to each downlight from a main junction box point to avoid having junction boxes in the ceiling which would be a pig to get to and work on. The rooms being wired have large floor to ceiling cupboards which I thought might be a good place to locate the junction boxes but I am not sure the best way to go with this, as I see it there are two options:-

(a) Mount JB's AND cables on surface of cupboard interior walls in mini-trucking. I think this allows me to run the cables where I like? and also locate the junction boxes where I like? Is this correct?

(b) Run the cables within the cupboard stud-wall AND fit the JB's inside the stud wall as well. I then provide access with a standard drywall access panel. I prefer this approach as the JB's are not exposed to damage. However, I guess this is going to make the wiring routes fare more difficult as they will need to run in permitted zones. Can I apply the standard zone reguations inside a cupboard? For example, can I run cables up/down the corner areas (125mm from actual corner).

My gut feeling is option 'a' is going to be the most pain free?

Sponsored Links
Ashley J501 junctions can be pulled through the holes you drill for the downlighters. Meaning you don't need anymore junctions, or miles of cable running up the cupboard.

Personally I think you would be better off with surface mount trunking in the cupboard. If you do a good job of securing both the junction boxes and trunking to the wall then risk of damage is minimal. It would be a percatly acceptabe installation and easy access for inspection/maintenance/amendments.

I think you can count on anyone in the near future accidentally putting fixings into the wall behind a cupboard.... and then the lights go off...

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you both for the suggestions. I have thought about using 501's or the WAGO as both are small but we are looking at a hole through 150mm of celotex. All things considered I think I will run with the surface trunking in the back of the cupboard. I thought about this a bit more earlier this evening and by mounting the JB's high up at the back of the cupboard the trunking run is almost zero length whilst also keeping the JB's out the way of normal day-to-day meddling hands. Cable runs are also shorter for everything.

One final point about the Ashley stuff which I think is Hager product. I kind of like these JB's but I find that fitting cables in can be more time consuming than a normal JB. Pressing down the buttons to get the wires in with standard T&E is quite fiddly. The WAGO's are much easier and with the see-thru plastic you can actually SEE that you have got the wire pushed fully home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back