downlighters and junction boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am replacing my old white halogen downlighters (50watts ea) with some new brushed steel ones and using LED bulbs. Can i wire directly into each unit and on to the next without using junction boxes. the instruction leaflet just says connect mains cable/s into connector block on lamp, and does not mention jb's at all. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
You will need to follow the manufacturers instructions regarding the wiring loom. Is the LED driver built into the lamps or do you have to install that as well?

Okay the MI should advise whether you wire them in series or in parallel.

Sponsored Links
i assume parrallel as they are exactly the same fitting type as my old ones, except they are LED. my old ones had jb's fitted but some are burnt and brittle and a couple of them had connector blocks which seem to have melted. the diagram shows live to live and neutral to neutral between each lamp fitting but does not show jb's of any description.

Shortly before Christmas, for one.

In my loft, for two, where I have a couple of projector lamps wired in series to give them a saner intensity and life.

Christmas lights dont generally require "wiring", they come prewired in whatever configuration the manufacturer has chosen, and you give them a 240v supply.

I'd also suggest your loft lamps probably arent wired as per the manufacturers instructions?

When would you ever connect mains lighting in series?!
Where LED lights are wired to Constant current drivers, the manufacturers instructions will outline this requirement, if there is more than one light on the circuit.
Furthermore, if you are connecting 15 or more on a lighting circuit, then you could be required to change the MCB from a B to C. Haler's MI for example.

Much as i appreciate the banter going on, i would love to get an answer to my question. Many Thanks.

i assume parrallel as they are exactly the same fitting type as my old ones, except they are LED. my old ones had jb's fitted but some are burnt and brittle and a couple of them had connector blocks which seem to have melted. the diagram shows live to live and neutral to neutral between each lamp fitting but does not show jb's of any description.
So you wire them as instructed.

Can i wire directly into each unit and on to the next without using junction boxes. the instruction leaflet just says connect mains cable/s into connector block on lamp, and does not mention jb's at all. Thank you.

So these are mains voltage then? (as you later said the driver is in the lamp).
I think it will just depend on if you can get 2 cables into the terminal block and get the cover back on. And with no cheating such as stripping the insulation back outside the connector block cover.

I thank you for your reply, but why did the installer of the original lights use jb's and strip connectors if they are not required, why waste the time and money? I want to install these lamps safely, if jb's are required then that is what i need to do,regardless of MI's. However if they are not a requirment and do not add to the safety aspect of the installation i will connect the 1mm (or 1.5mm) cables directly into the strip connector situated on the extended arm of each and every lamp fitting and rest in peace knowing i did the right thing. I am not part P or NIEEC registered i am just a person who cannot afford to employ a pro and who thinks that a job should be done right from the start, which is why i am on this site asking this question. Thank you

Thank yo Mikeyd, you must have posted whilst i was busy typing, so that would be the reason, not cutting back the insulation, ie no cable extending beyond the cover of terminal block cover.makes sense as space is a bit tight. So its not no no if i can get them in. Many Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back