Junction box for downlights

Sponsored Links
If the cabling is to be left loose and not clipped, and the joint boxes not fixed to anything, then I would use Ashley J501 joint boxes.

Sponsored Links
I like these click flow junction boxes - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT100C.html . Makes changing a fitting a doddle.
blank65x10t.gif
plus_one.gif

But don't wire them as per the photo on TLC's site... ;)

Yep those click flow joints are brilliant. The only trouble I have is sourcing them locally. I have to get them mail order and then keep them as a stock item on my shelves.

Ha ha that photo on TLC is very amusing!!

Thanks for the suggestions. So looking at the photo I can join 3 spots to each click flow fitting?

yup, I personally like method 3 on here, dependant on ceiling space it may well use a lot of cable, hence the :confused: but it gives you a central wiring / jb location

electrics:lighting:series-parallel.jpg

Cable wise Method 3 is what I have at the moment although I don't know what sort of junction box would accept 7 pairs of cable.

Initially I didn't realise you could put two cores into one downlight connector (method 1). So this may be the way to go.

I know it's an old topic but I was considering wiring downlights as follows using junction boxes or Wago connectors - is this an acceptable method?

Something that has not been mentioned that you must be made aware of is, that any junction/joint made within the ceiling void must be accessible for maintenance, testing and inspection, also holes made within joists must be compliant to part A of the building regulations, look in Wiki under electrics-installation techniques.

Good stuff, thanks guys.

The box with an o in it is my poor attempt at drawing a junction box :)

The lights are double insulated so I wasn't planning to run an Earth (and there is no terminal on the casing).

Thanks for the pointer on the joists. I'll be running the cables in the loft and follow the guidelines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back