Spotlights Wiring Question

Sponsored Links
Are you hoping for romantic lighting for your bedroom, or do you want it to have the charm of a car showroom?

You will not be able to put one where the rose is as it will for sure be mounted on a joist.

You can lay 1.0mm² from one to the other. The earth (cpc conductor) must be continuous from source the last light.

Will you be installing all 10 in the one room? How will you organise the junction at the (original) light fitting?
Will it be accessible from the loft above?
Is your bedroom ceiling a fire barrier?
Are you in England or Wales? If so, have you notified the local authority of your intention to embark on notifiable electrical works?

Thinking of buying a pack of thes to install in upstairs bedroom:
Does the fact that you're replacing what you currently have with 350-500W tell you anything about how well those things work?

Are you hoping for romantic lighting for your bedroom, or do you want it to have the charm of a car showroom?
094341.jpg

Are you in England or Wales? If so, have you notified the local authority of your intention to embark on notifiable electrical works?
It's not a special location...

Sponsored Links
Thinking of buying a pack of thes to install in upstairs bedroom:
Does the fact that you're replacing what you currently have with 350-500W tell you anything about how well those things work?

What do you mean?

Also what am I looking for in your photo?!

As long-time posters and lurkers on this forum will know, Mr. Sheds has a bit of a reputation for his quest to ban MR16 downlights. His reasoning is that they have a tight beam angle, are not particularly energy efficient, and a relatively large number of fittings are required to adequately light a given space.

However, if you value aesthetics over energy efficiency, then you should not let someone else's opinions stop you from making your own informed decisions.

P.S. BAS, please reduce the resolution of that photo. I've got a reasonable screen resolution on my computer, and i'm still having to scroll across the page twice to see it all.

What do you mean?
I mean doesn't the fact that you plan to install 350-500W of lighting in place of, what, 1/4 of that, tell you that you have chosen an inappropriate way to light a room?

Also what am I looking for in your photo?!
Nothing - that was to TTC.

I ought to replace it with a smaller one if we don't get to 15 replies soon..

, Mr. Sheds has a bit of a reputation for his quest to ban MR16 downlights. .

Ahh yes, but that set seems to be GU10s - but I think BAS's objections will extend to those low voltage luminaires.

And BAS is right (again). :oops:
The installation of non CE-marked sets of low voltage downlights is not notifiable unless they are installed in a special location.
The installation of extra-low voltage (E.L.V.) non pre-assembled CE marked lights is notifiable, in any location.

Edit: Nice pair BAS, you'll not hurt yourself if you tripped over!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back