Soffit Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen a few posts on this but I have seen conflicting views. So would like some clarification please:

I want to install some soffit lights along the porch on the front of our house.
I want them to be controlled by a PIR, so when we drive/walk up to the house the lights will come on (night time only).
Also I would like to be able to switch them on manually (independant of the PIR) so if I know people are coming to visit I can switch them on.

Do I need IP65 downlights or will normal IP20 lights do? I have enough of these left over and was hoping to utilise them. http://www.screwfix.com/prods/39572...U10-Satin-Nickel-Manis-Voltage-Downlight-Pk10

What sort of PIR would I need. Is this any good?? http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36316/Lighting-Lamps/Floodlights/PIRs-Photocells/180-Standalone-PIR#

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Be aware that certain older properties had their soffits made from Asbestos !

well they'll be fire proof won't they!! I would lob LED's in after all it's only going to be accent lighting?

Have a look at my first ever post!!

clicky

And I even understand what Simon means now!!

Sponsored Links
sigh, only because my original username got compromised. Maybe a little investigation before sounding off :rolleyes:

or maybe the word you were really looking for was tw@

Thanks for the replies.

The soffit I need to cut into is timber so I'm OK, no asbestos.

It looks as though the PIR I have chosen or even the 140 degree version will be ok.

But what about the downlighters? Do I need IP65/shower rated ones?

Are these new GU10 LED and energy saver bulbs any good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back