Sealed or changeable LED for soffits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Pulling my own head off with these lights for my soffitts ouside.

Question?
LED lights for under soffit, should I go for sealed/integrated or normal where I can change the bulbs? under soffit no rain will get them.

Unsealed

Sealed

Will either be ok? I aim to set them off with a PIR.

Is the vote for Sealed or Unsealed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The sealed have the advantage of being fire rated.

Edit- I misunderstood the point of fire ratings- I now agree with the others that a GU10 would be the better option.

Last edited:
THanks think it makes sense to just get integrated, they last long enough anyway and still work with PIR.

Sponsored Links
You mean 25 quid to change the whole light cuz its integrated. I think I can get cheaper on amazon.

That's hardly an advantage outside.

They have the disadvantage of being 25 quid for new bulb.

The soffit might be outside, but surely the path of fire would be in to the house? Soffits often provide airflow to cold roofs.

Best to be able to change bulb - especially when buying on cheaper end of scale.
Get both in one, Unsealed and fire rated. (I selected LAP only because you had).

As I understand it, 'fire-rated' means that if there were a fire underneath the lamp fitting (nothing to do with the lamp), the lamp would stop it passing through the hole the lamp is fitted in and on upwards (by part of the lamp swelling up in the heat). It doesn't mean that the lamp will magically not ever get hot and cause a fire. To me this is one of the locations least likely to require a 'fire-rated' lamp.

The path of what fire?

On reflection... yeah I guess that a fire rated fitting is not fire rated because of the risk of the bulb catching fire, rather the housing will have intumescent seals that will slow down a fire below it to prevent it spreading up wards.

My bad. Thanks for correcting me.

And apologies to the OP.

Agreed, but tend to prefer them over the 'open' type shown at top of page as I find the 'can' type container of the fire rated ones keeps all the bare wires etc away from fingers, damp and to a degree insects.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back