Junction box for downlights

I would run an earth ( CPC ) wire in case you ever decide to change the lamps for something that doe need an earth. Also an effective CPC in the cable will provide some protection in the event of cable damage.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll run T&E and anchor earth to a TB at the end.

Regarding inspection: Is it OK to leave the junction box next to the light in the ceiling? That way it's always accessible via the light fitting.

The lights are double insulated so I wasn't planning to run an Earth (and there is no terminal on the casing).
So, yoiu do not need to earth teh fitting itself. But the cable has a bare wire in the middle. This is called the Circuit Protective Conductor (CPC)
This must be earthed at the source end and be continued thorugh all of the interlink cables so you also have an earth at the final light.

This is a safety facility and is there so that any fault will cause the circuit protection device to operate. You will, of course, need an earth at the far end when you do your post installation testing. How would you determine the EFLI unless there were an earth present?

Another good reason for having a continuous CPC round each fitting, it will help in the testing procedures and also help diagnosing faults.

Sponsored Links
Yep, I agree and will run it through to the end.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back