Another Downlighter Question

Sponsored Links
Looking for downlights through out my house, but the ones I've been looking at require a 260mm ceiling void depth. Mine only has 210mm. Is it right that it needs that much depth? :confused:

They don't all need 260mm but they do require a specified gap to allow the fitting space and ventilation.

Sponsored Links
Others don't say in the description so I'm struggling to find suitable ones.

Most manufacturers instructions will specify the required space within the void, that is required.

Thanks. Popped into an electrical wholesalers today and a lot of those were only 150mm voids I think it was which will fit. Sadly didn't have the finish I wanted.

The Robus downlights are not bad fitted a few of them, wickes I don't know normally poor quality from there but saying that not purchased from Wickes for awhile.
Also consider the LED option for lamps, they are a little more expensive than halogen but a saving in energy consumption and lamp life, should get you in front over time.

I've always been happy with the JCC fittings, and they'll fit inside your 210 no trouble.

pj

I agree the BS7671 give 0.5 meter (422.4.2 and 422.3.1) unless the manufacturer says otherwise to flammable material so since normally there is a wooden floor above the ceiling one has to select lamps rated to work in that space.

I know that LED lamps give off less heat but unless the special GU10 with the pin in centre so non LED lamps will not fit then still rated as with quartz lamps. However many LED lamps are missing that hole and so can't be used.

So it all comes down to how close you are going to follow the rules. I will now use LED not because of heat or energy but because fed up of swapping tungsten lamps. But I only use GU10 lamps as spot lights for example behind the bed to read with. I would not use GU10 for general lighting they are not fit for that job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back