kitchen downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently having some new downlights fitted in the kitchen and I'm getting a registered electrician to do it.
Part way through installation and checking where things are up to.

Lights installed are (I think) standard downlights with LED bulbs -
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-fixed...ntractor-pack-brushed-chrome-240v-pk10/36324#

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-es50-les-accent-lamp-gu10-140lm-2-5w/55006

The kitchen has a bedroom above, with clearance 23cm between kitchen ceiling and bedroom floor.

I realise I had asked for 240V mains downlights with LEDs.
I had thought there may be some fire precautions needed - i.e. fire-rated lights or fire hoods?
Or does it not require this, as the LED bulbs are lower heat or clearance is adequate?
Would like to be sure what I have is compliant before I settle up with him.

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Fire rated lights and fire hoods are there so that when your house is on fire, the fire does not go through the downlight holes into the space above.
The type of lamp installed makes no difference.

In 99% of situations, fire rated lights are not required.

At 140 lumens, those LED lamps will be far too dim.
300+ lumens would be more usual, and for a kitchen, even that may not be enough.

The only place that you must fit fire-rated downlights is when the ceiling is itself fire rated.

Is it a fire barrier?
If not then you do not need to worry.

Please note that fire-rated fittings are designed to impede the passage of fire from the room below, through the downlight hole and into the space above.
They have nothing to do with shielding anything from the heat of the lamps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the speedy response flameport and taylortwocities.

there are 6 downlights and it's only a small kitchen and the brightness seems fine.
Will bear that in mind though to upgrade to higher lumens bulbs, if it later annoys me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back