Junction box dilema & smoke hoods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of converting the lighting in a bedroom from a single pendant installation, to 4 halogen downlights, although the fittings will actually be running gu10 led clusters.

I would like to replace the pendant fitting with some sort of recessed 4 way junction box, with a blanking plate that is flush with the ceiling, as it is really difficult to get into the loft and wire fom above. Does anyone know of such a fitting or will I have to use a 35mm round dry line box, fitted with 20A terminal block and a blanking plate?

Also, which type of smoke hood would you recommend for fitting from below for the downlights? I would like to fit these as there is no guarantee that the bulbs won't be changed to gu10 halogens in the future.

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
Also, which type of smoke hood would you recommend for fitting from below for the downlights? I would like to fit these as there is no guarantee that the bulbs won't be changed to gu10 halogens in the future.
Unless either there is other lighting in there, or you're a fan of very dimly lit rooms, I think there's a guarantee that you will be changing to halogens in the very near future. Possibly the very next day....

Are you fitting hoods because you want them, or because you think you have to?

Finally, is there insulation up there? If access is difficult, how do you plan to remove it from around the downlighters and build structures around them and carry the insulation over the top to seal the thermal breaks you'll have made in the ceiling?

ban-all-sheds said:
Are you fitting hoods because you want them, or because you think you have to?

Do the regs not require this as the halogens are being put into the roof space? Is it not a build reg requirement to maintain the firebreak between the bedrooms and the roof space?

ban-all-sheds said:
Finally, is there insulation up there? If access is difficult, how do you plan to remove it from around the downlighters and build structures around them and carry the insulation over the top to seal the thermal breaks you'll have made in the ceiling?

Yes there is fibreglass insulation above, I was hoping to clear this via the hole for the fittings. Would the smoke hood not give adequate thermal insulation. It would seem a bit odd to me to have the smoke hood and then build an enclosure over the top. How would the heat be dissipated?

It is not a standard building regulation to have fire hoods fitted. This is necessary if you have a fire rated ceiling which needs to maintain its rating.
I also agree with Ban you will be dissapointed with LED these are no good for a main source of light, only feature or additional lighting.
I would use low votage as GU10 are also crap.

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
Yes there is fibreglass insulation above, I was hoping to clear this via the hole for the fittings. Would the smoke hood not give adequate thermal insulation. It would seem a bit odd to me to have the smoke hood and then build an enclosure over the top. How would the heat be dissipated?
You need quite a big structure over it - somebody once posted here, I'm sure, a drawing of a suggested enclosure, with dimensions, that came from advice on a Local Authority website, but I can't find it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back