recommend choc box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i'm upgrading some 35w halogen gu10's recessed downlights to 6w leds and want to tidy up the wiring also and use a choc box for the connection from the supply to the fitting. is there a particular brand the professional favours and what sort of rating do i need ie max 30w?
many thanks
jo

Sponsored Links
It depends.. Choc box just encloses what I know as terminal strip. If you want a loop in / loop out + light feed junction box then you might want to look at someting like a downlighter junction box. For example: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ501.html

The max rating needs to be at least as high as the fuse/mcb it is fed off, usually 6 amps. This equals about 1500 Watts in tems of power at 240V but connectors and junction boxes are rated by their current capacity in amps.

Sponsored Links
many thanks for all replys, as expected, good, prompt, no nonsense advice! cheers
jo

For some reason the MF ones don't seem to have the same connectors as the screw terminal ones? I have one somewhere but by memory there weren't enough ways to handle loop in/out etc?

Depends on your MF box, but the ones made for lighting circuits have enough ways. There's terminals for SWL, N, E and live loop.

apologies if i forgot to mention thanks for all the replys on this
jo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back