junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am installing a junction box for light cable , i have asked b4 about the positioning of the box ..[.i intend puling in false ceiling ......] and have been told that you need access to box for testing...but my query is ..if putting in false ceiling with battens , boards and downlights which many ppl do , how can u get access to the rose? is this not the same as putting junction box attached to ceiling like the rose will be ?as the boards cover eveything

ps its a downstairs ceiling not attic

Sponsored Links
The normal practice when wiring downlights is to position junction boxes (which are usually choc boxes containing terminal strip... in order to have a cord restraint) right next to the light, so they are accesable by means of removing the light and pulling the junction through the hole

just out of curiosity , how would anyone know there are junction boxes fitted ?obviously im not a sparky , but , if anyone tested my electrics ...would they know know theres a junction box if some 1 had hidden it behind a wall etc? im thinkin a lot of diyers may do this intentionally or unintentionally

gg1a said:
just out of curiosity , how would anyone know there are junction boxes fitted ?obviously im not a sparky , but , if anyone tested my electrics ...would they know know theres a junction box if some 1 had hidden it behind a wall etc? im thinkin a lot of diyers may do this intentionally or unintentionally

You can tell by the wiring style wether a joint box has been used for the feed / switch / light connection, but for a through joint you can't tell until it fails.

This is why the need to be accesible, so if they do fail you can locate them and repair the fault without ripping down ceilings and chasing walls etc.

Sponsored Links
therefore if a person is extending the cables u cant really tell ? as the colours and cable type are the same

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back