Cabling advice for complete newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am renovating a shop that will eventually be run as a delicattesen/coffee shop. It's likely one of the walls will be used as exhibition space in te future and so I'd like to install some cabling for a digital projector. First fix electrics are going in next week - the building is back to bricks/joists - so this would be the perfect time to install any other cabling.
As I havn't a clue, can anyone advice me as to what cabling I shoul dbe installing?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Afaict i'ts all a bit of a mess at the moment. Afaict most presentation room projectors are still run on analog VGA because that is what most laptops support. Pretty much every connector that could be used for AV can be fed into some projector or another. I've also seen projectors that seem to have built in ethernet. Some systems may also have control wiring to the projector.

Personally I'd suggest a duct (make sure it's wide enough to take a DVI connector) and draw rope, then you can pull in whatever the particular setup you install needs.

Afaict i'ts all a bit of a mess at the moment. Afaict most presentation room projectors are still run on analog VGA because that is what most laptops support. Pretty much every connector that could be used for AV can be fed into some projector or another. I've also seen projectors that seem to have built in ethernet. Some systems may also have control wiring to the projector.

Personally I'd suggest a duct (make sure it's wide enough to take a DVI connector) and draw rope, then you can pull in whatever the particular setup you install needs.

I'd second this - a duct is the way to go (along with some rope!). They'll probably change all the damn cables again in the next year or two so you really need to be able to change them if needs be.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys -

hmmm, shame! not sure a duct is going to be possible as there are alot of joists in the way and unforunitly they are running the wrong way, in the sence I would have to chop into each and every one.

what size duct are we talking? any chance someone could post a link to the duct in question?

also, if you were to put some cable behind the plasterboard what would you choose?

thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back