Cabling from downstairs, upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I’m in a relatively new build house, built 2018

Looking to run some network cable from the downstairs hub upstairs to another room.

Be interested in thoughts on approach

Option 1 - Through the ceiling with some vertical mini trunking hiding the cabling as far as possible...

Option 2 - Attempting to fish from upstairs, downstairs, behind the plasterboard...

Option 3 - Out through the external wall, up, and in through the upstairs external wall

Would appreciate any pro’s, con’s, do’s, don’t, recommend kit etc

Sponsored Links
How do central heating pipes get from the ground floor to upper floor, might you be able to share that route?

If the walls have an empty cavity, could you use that? Into cavity on upper floor, then fish out through wall on ground floor.

Fishing through plasterboard, you would have to find the horizontal batons, make a hole, out then back in again. Finally plaster up the holes in the plasterboard.

Sadly heating pipes and wrong side of the room entirely.

Forgive me but when you say the walls having an empty cavity, isn’t it a certainty I’ll hit however made horizontal batons on the way up and down?

Forgive me but when you say the walls having an empty cavity, isn’t it a certainty I’ll hit however made horizontal batons on the way up and down?

Cavity in an outside wall, unless they are insulated. It is a certainty that you will find batons in a stud wall, which fill prevent you from fishing all the way. .

Sponsored Links
I would use the cavity wall and as a last resort take it outside and back in again

Trucking looks unsightly and anything else means making mess

Or power link adapters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back