HDMi cable from lounge to bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at running an HDMi cable from my lounge to my bedroom, directly above it.

I am currently looking at two ways of doing it;

1) Drill into the cavity wall upstairs and try and fish the cable out at the cavity wall in the lounge.

2) drill to the outside, run the cable up the outside wall, then drill into the bedroom upstairs.

The cavity would be the neatest solution, but I have no idea what is within the cavity wall and i imagine it would imagine fishing it out might prove problematic.

The outside is how the current optical cable/virgin cable is routed, but with the HDMi having a bigger plug and not having ever drilled through brick walls before I am unsure of the best way forwards.

Can anyone advise? cheers guys :)

Sponsored Links
If you try to fish internally there will be timber supporting the upper floor in the way. Why do want to do this?

If you try to fish internally there will be timber supporting the upper floor in the way. Why do want to do this?
Theoretically there should not be any timber floors jutting out into the cavity there should be a maze of wall ties and mortar snots and everything else that ends up in the cavtiy's to negotiate though. Depends on the age and standard really. You've still gotta somehow hook the end of the cable to as well as breaking into the wall to poke your hand in at the top.

Drilling a hole in the wall and going up the outside seems a hundred times easier. You could always chase the cable into the plaster bit of a palava though. If you had plasterboard on dabs you may get it up behind the board.

I thought you could get digital transmitter thingies these days anyway?

I've run a cable all the way round the room under the skirting/carpet edge, if you got a slim cable that was long enough you could just run the whole thing under the skirtings assuming you had carpet.

Sponsored Links
I plan on getting an HDMi splitter connected to my TIVo box, then have one HDMi cable to my big TV in the lounge, then run the second HDMi cable to my bedroom TV.

With an RF extender & second remote I can then have TIVO in both rooms of the house! :)

Sounds like following the coax cable that is already drilled & routed as I wan the HDMi cable is the way forwards.

I have looked at HDMi broadcasters but they seem pretty expensive, I will keep looking into them though! :)

try hdmi over ethernet..

you run 1 or 2 CAT 6 network cables and use a converter both ends..

What is on the outside of the wall ?

I've seen people carefully remove a brick for access and then point it back in afterwards. Not practical if it's rendered ...

I've done 2.

one was outside due to a cast concrete structure, the other was cleverly run into a fake fireplace feature, up through the ceiling, under the floor boards, and into the room with the tv.

Another option worth considering if cable runs are difficult would be an HDMI-over-Cat5 extender pair - preferably the two cable type and the single cable types impose limitations. Two cat 5 cables aren't much different in size to an HDMI cable - but are easier to feed through tight spots since you can terminate them yourself, while I don't think DIY termination of an HDMI is practical.
For example, I think you'll get 2xcat5 cables through the small white oval conduit, but you won't get an HDMI plug through.

when I done something similar I ran in the wall cavity with cable rods. I cut a double gang box through the whole inner wall so I had a hole big enough for my hand then a 20mm hole below floor boards then used the wife to get if arm in and it worked ok. to finish I then fitted a double gang back box in the hole with squirty foam behind and fitted a brush plate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back