Ethernet cable from bedroom to lounge ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am looking at hard wiring my PC to PS3....my PC is situated in an upstairs bedroom whilst PS3 is in lounge.

I am looking to stream music/videos, but due to issues with wireless (to slow) & using homeplugs (also slow due to noise on line i think) I am looking to run a cat5 ethernet cable between the two to solve.

As a complete noob I would appreciate some advise.

I can see 4 alternatives;

1. Take the cable from PC up to loft, right across loft, drill thru outside wall take cable outside & bring in back next to PS3 at ground level.
2. Take the cable into loft again & somehow feed cable between breeze block & plasterboard (dot & dab) all the way down to lounge
3. Take the cable into loft but bring cable down in bedroom above lounge then somehow take wire from this bedroom directly below to lounge
4. Drape cable all long skirting boards all the way down stairs (dont really want to do this due to unsightly cable everywhere)

So what do you think ? As i said I am a noob & would really appreciate your help. I am OK getting cable thru ceiling into loft but need some help with getting cable either outside of house, or down internal wall or between floors

Many thanks
André

Sponsored Links
I would only go outside as a last resort.

If you can get directly above the dot&dabbed wall you might be able to push a rigid rod carrying the cable down between the board and the wall, but I wouldn't fancy your chances of just dropping a cable down it.

What sort of floors do you have? Can you not do the lateral part of the run in the void?

Buy a wireless router and a wireless adapter for the PS3 ?

If you need to get a cable down, normal format would be under bedroom floor to a riser (pipes between floors, boxed in waste pipe) then under ground floor to the final position.

Easy if you have access to floors and a pain if laminate, tiled (and to a less degree even carpets, underlay).

You can get external 'over sheafed' Cat 5 so would out the window, up the wall and back in do it ?- I hate unnecessary external cable, they look carp.

You could staple some FTPCat5E tight to the corner of your bedroom walls and then caulk over...

Sponsored Links
My bog standard PS3 has wifi built in, but as he is wanting to avoid wireless then options 2,3 or 4 are the way forwards for him. I take it you have a router?

I went external with mine.

Just used bog standard external grade cat5e (excel)

External grade cable is slightly thinner than cat5e and is very discreet, also in my case it meant that I could get rid of the sky and antenna cables so it was a good trade off.

Sponsored Links
Back