Drilling a hole though brick...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all.

I'm trying to run a network cable from my living room to the router upstairs.

Part one of the plan was to go though the wall where the skirting and the door frame intersect.
This seemed like the tidiest place to do it for routing some mini trunking.

I've got about 95mm into the wall, the drill bit went in easy up till then now it's refusing to go on any further.

The house is 1930s brick built
An I likely hitting some part of the door frame or do I just need to persevere?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the door casing for any signs of a nail head that has been punched under and then filled - it is possible that you have drilled into one of the wedges which were inserted in gaps in the masonry to fix the door casing (often done with 4 to 6in nails) and have hit one of the nails which are holding the door casing in place. The solution is to fill the hole (later) and drill further up or down

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully I think it was impatience on my part add possibly the cavity in the brick.

The hole is just over an inch from the door casing where the skirting levels of at the bottom of the stairs.

After giving the drill a few minutes to cool & top up the battery, it took a few more seconds to get past the sticking point and then went though the rest of the brick with ease.

Cable is now successfully run to the landing,
Just need to decide which route to take around the door at the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back