Drilling though a wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum but it seemed the most sensible.

I'm running network cables in the house and the easiest route to a couple of the bedrooms is out the back wall of the office though conduit.

I'm trying to get the hole though the wall. Initially tried right in the corner. Masonry bit sailed though the plaster and the inner layer of concrete block. Then whatever it hit on the other sure of the cavity it just wouldn't go though. I tried again about 1520cm to the side and same again.

There is about s metre of wall then a patio door, so unsure of the lintel would go that far?

House is a 2 storey 1980s build.

If like to avoid dropping the cable down to the site brick but I may have to.

Can anyone shed any light on what I may be hitting and how to get though it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any pics?
Not much to see.
Textured wallpaper in the inside. Harling wall on the outside. No obvious lines.
There's an air brick below where I was trying to drill, maybe about 30/40cm below. Looking though that just looks like 2 layers of breeze block

Harling wall on the outside.

Lucky it didn't go through then! Large chunks will fall off as the drill bit bursts through.

You need to drill from outside with an SDS drill, sounds like you have very hard brick in the outer leaf. Start with a long 8 or 10mm drill, then work up in size. Go gently unit you are through the pebble dash.

Sponsored Links
Been able to drill out with the 12mm as a pilot from the two upstairs rooms (like hit knife though butter) with minimal damage to the pebbledash by backing off and showing down when I felt I was getting near. Then back in the way with the 20mm where I needed more than one cable.

Sadly only have access to a Makita or DeWalt hammer drill. I guess I'll call up the hire shops to see how much hiring an sds drill will cost

Got it done today my dad bright over his DeWalt hammer. We got though hough the just inch of wall from where it fit stuck lady week using the 12mm bit. Then drilled from the outside back in with an 18mm bit. No idea what's going on but it hit something about an inch from being an the essay though as well. But that would have been the bit the 12mm went though like butter. Good knows what's going on, but it's done now. Used up both batteries to get it done though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back