Drilling through cavity wall - SDS not going through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm trying to drill through a wall in my loft, from inside to outside, so that I can feed CCTV cabling (eaves too narrow for the cables).

I am drilling with an SDS drill and drillbit. I can get through the first layer fine, but then I hit something that the drill just won't get through, lots of vibration. Drill is definitely set to hammer and drill.

I'm going through at a slight angle, could that be the problem? I've tried in two different places (I thought I may have been hitting a concrete lintel) but still no joy.

I'm using this drill
http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb465drh-4-8kg-sds-plus-rotary-hammer-drill-230-240v/63303
and this bit
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-sds-plus-masonry-drill-bit-25-x-450mm/36408

I've got a picture of the wall from when the house was being built, so I can see the construction of it. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
wall.jpg

Sponsored Links
You might have hit a wall tie, only way to see is drill another hole just off to one side. Otherwise the inner might be concrete and dare I suggest it the drill is on reverse:sneaky:

You could try coming through from inside to see if you hit anything use the smallest drill you can to minimise break out and then drill the full size hole from outside.

Yeah I thought reverse too.:mrgreen: There won't be any metal there.

You may be unlucky and be hitting a restraint strap. These secure joists and rafters and are only 30-40mm wide.
So unless you are drilling above an opening, i.e. hitting the up-stand of a lintel, I don't know why you are not getting through.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses guys. I've tried two holes in different places, I'll try a third next to a hole I've already made. My drill doesn't have a reverse setting.

I wasn't that clear in the original post, I can get through the first set of blocks, through the insulation, then I can't get through the second set of blocks (outside wall). Unfortunately I can't go in from the outside as the top half of the house is covered in weather board. I'm trying to feed the calves down behind the boards.

I'll give another joule a try in a few hours, I'll see if I can get a photo of what's inside the hole.

There have been reported faults with the Erbauer. Could be the hammer switch is faulty and/or the hammer action isn't working. Just a thought!

B

UPDATE:

Success! I think it was a dodgy switch on the drill. I tried switching it back to normal drill, used it, then put it back to hammer drill and all of a sudden... proper hammer action! Got through it quickly.

Man it gets bloody hot in the loft in this weather!

As I said, the hammer action switch is a known fault on those.

Glad it's sorted!!

B

I bet you had it on hammer only. Went through the celcon but not the brick.

My Screwfix SDS lost its hammer action. When I took it apart the problem was the loose "striking" (?) pin was stuck in the out position. It hits the end of the bit. its mean't to be loose, so pushing the bit against something pushes the pin back until it is hit by the connecting rod on the gear drive. The pin then bangs forward, hitting the end of the bit which jumps forward, and causes the drill to go backwards. So you push again and it all repeats. YOU are the return spring!!! Bit of cleaning fixed it.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back