How do I drill through very hard concrete (prefab)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage is made of prefab concrete and I want to drill the walls to put some screws in the wall (so not drilled all the way through). The problem is the concrete is very tough and has lots of small stones in which seem to be even tougher.

A normal hammer drill makes little/no progress while my SDS hammer drill has such a heavy action it ends up knocking huge chunks out of the wall on the other side.

I'm wondernig if a diamond tile drill or something could be used?

Sponsored Links
Will it not work by drilling a few pilot holes and building up to your required size?

I don't think you are going to have muck luck!

How thick are the concrete panels?

A couple of inches tops?

It would require some pretty accurate drilling in order to achieve the depth needed for a plug and screw.

You may be better off drilling a small pilot hole all the way through then drill the larger finishing hole from the face side. Then fill the holes on the face side once you have finished fixing.

Sponsored Links
The bits are good quality and I believe tungsten carbide tipped. I don't know if a brand new bit of the same type would be better/faster - maybe worth a go?

The smalest bit I have I think is 6mm what size pilots were you thinking of? I have tried all different sized bit - there didn't seem any benefit drilling with 6 then 8.

The panels are 1.5 to 2" thick - yes I have to be careful not to drill all the way through. The bigger problem though is the SDS drill punching through 1/2 or more of the panel leaving a big conical crater in the other side...

try taking the drill off the hammer action, it will take a little longer, but if the bits are good, should reduce any damage.

You need to re think it :idea: Use a grab adhesive to bond lumps of wood to the panels - then fix to that ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back