Drilling into VERY HARD concrete

Sponsored Links
But then we wouldn't of had the drill test. --- Which I won by the way.

I think you would of got on much better if you first used a 3 or 4mm CYL-9
Perhaps so, but that would have added more expense to the job.

I think that the CYL-9 bits will deal with our 'engineering' bricks - providing the weather is dry and not windy, I'll test that out tomorrow, if not it will be Tuesday.

I'll probably get a 3.5mm and/or 4mm CYL-9 at some point for a pilot hole.

XRD

My advice would be to look for a good second-hand SDS corded drill on FBMP. Most tradies I know are upgrading to cordless ones, so I think you'll get a bargain.
Your future self will thank your present self multiple times!
Confused? I am, and I wrote it!
Keep us posted!
Olly

Sponsored Links
So what is the difference between an sds drill on rotation and hammer and a non sds drill set to hammer.
Massive. Like night and day.
One relies on a hit-and-miss type hammer where the tool is vibrating. SDS uses a percussion strike at the base of the bit and will punch through anything.

One relies on a hit-and-miss type hammer where the tool is vibrating. SDS uses a percussion strike at the base of the bit and will punch through anything.
I see - thank you.

Thanks. Didn't know that's how a SDS drill worked.

A quick 'Google' tells me that SDS stands for 'Slotted Drive Shaft' and that the drill bit moves forwards and backwards within the chuck. A 'hammer drill' moves the chuck containing the drill bit backwards and forwards

Makes me think that with lots of use an ordinary 'hammer drill' will 'wear' and ultimately, the 'hammer action' will lose its efficacy?

Dave

Thanks. Didn't know that's how a SDS drill worked.

A quick 'Google' tells me that SDS stands for 'Slotted Drive Shaft' and that the drill bit moves forwards and backwards within the chuck. A 'hammer drill' moves the chuck containing the drill bit backwards and forwards

Makes me think that with lots of use an ordinary 'hammer drill' will 'wear' and ultimately, the 'hammer action' will lose its efficacy?

Dave
There is no comparison really. SDS is brutal in comparison and effortless.

So what is the difference between an sds drill on rotation and hammer and a non sds drill set to hammer.

A non sds drill- as it rotates, the drill bit momentarily drops back towards you. It is you pushing against the drill that forces it forward again.

A SDS drill actually fires the drill bit forward.

Not the best explanation.

If you run either drill without touching the wall you will see that the SDS is actively firing the drill bit forward. You will not notice a difference with the non-sds drill.

Actually it stands for Steck – Dreh – Sitz ("Insert – Drill – Attachment").

Not surprisingly, Bosch (who invented it in 1975) used a German acronym.

According to Wikipedia, Bosch use "Special Direct System" in non-german speaking countries.

That is good question.

I have an 30+ year old corded metabo hammer drill. I haven't noticed a deterioration in the efficiency of the hammer feature, but I seldom use the drill anymore.

bYGv9.gif

In the above image, parts 53 and 50 look like they are the hammer action components. I guess in time the "sticky out bits" on the rear of 53 will become less deep and possibly rounded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back