1300Ah battery fully drains after 10-15 mins drilling into concrete post - Battery faulty???

what bits are you using?

I use the dewalt extreme masonry bits for cordless use.

Sponsored Links
I really want cordless as I'm occasional DIYer so I don't need a serious corded beast, which is much heavier (typically 4-6kg), need long extension (~15m or more) to drill outside like back garden. So flexibility of having cordless is more important for me.
yes I understand what you are saying, but cordless drills lack power for heavy drilling -so if you want to use a cordless you will need to be patient.

fence posts are pretty damn hard -its a big ask to drill into them at all tbh

I remember those days.;)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy
giphy.gif

Or you could try a better bit.
I'm using decent mid-class drill bits (metabo 626706000) which is about a tenner on amazon and has decent 4.5 rating and lots of reviews ~250, so it's likely boils down to:

[QUOTE="^woody^, post: 4666949, member: 37821"you need a different drill that will drill the hole in 15 seconds not 15 minutes. An SDS.
[/QUOTE] Any recommendations for suitable cordless SDS drill under 150-200 quid including >3Ah battery and charger?

Sponsored Links
yes I understand what you are saying, but cordless drills lack power for heavy drilling -so if you want to use a cordless you will need to be patient.
I don't mind being patient at all and I am patient. I'm happy to spend 15-20 min per hole as I only drill like a dozen a year or less, so time isn't a big concern. But recharging and thus killing the battery every ~15 mins IS a concern, hence I find the new Dewalt drill with 1.3Ah battery useless for this.

fence posts are pretty damn hard -its a big ask to drill into them at all tbh
I've managed to drill 10 holes into 4 different posts with a cordless Workzone hammer drill (14.4V, 1500mAh) and that lasts for at least 30-40 mins on full charge thus I can drill ~two holes per charge. That's OK. I thought Dewalt combi would be faster but apparently not + battery discharges very quickly. So far waste of money.

You serious?? My other drill Workzone codless combi has 14.4V, 1500mAh battery and I've just finished the hole in the post with it - this took another ~10 mins and drained the 1500mAh battery by only 20% (so 80% charge still left). So itsn' 1.3Ahx18V running for ~10-15 mins into concrete too short?? 10-15mins is overall time including pauses+bit cooling, real work time is under 10 mins.
Yes, I'm serious. You've bought the bottom of the range drill and battery from dewalt. Can't imagine it's designed for drilling into concrete for more than a few holes at a time to put up a hanging basket or something.

Wrong tool for the job, sorry. You would have been better with a cheapo corded drill for what you're doing.

What the heck are you drilling that takes 10 minutes anyway? Have you got it on hammer drill mode?

Are you boring 25mm holes or something silly?

You'll burn the thing out pretty darn quick running it continuously like that

Again, maybe. I fist drill with 3mm drill bit - that takes most of the time - about 15-20 min per hole.
Then use 4 and finally 6mm bits - those go thru quickly (like 1-2 mins or less).

That still doesn't explain fast battery draining on the new drill - most reviews says the battery has a long run time and they're happy with performance.
did you see my post ??

Again, maybe. I fist drill with 3mm drill bit - that takes most of the time - about 15-20 min per hole.
Then use 4 and finally 6mm bits - those go thru quickly (like 1-2 mins or less).

That still doesn't explain fast battery draining on the new drill - most reviews says the battery has a long run time and they're happy with performance.
I missed this post. You really are using the wrong tool for the job!

For what it's worth, I have the DC 996 dewalt and 5 amp batteries. I've put a 12mm hole through a reinforced concrete post and it takes about 20-30 seconds, using a 12mm masonry drill bit, on order to put a bolt through.

However if I've got multiple masonry things to drill, I get the titan corded sds drill out.

Think the OP is now on their way back to B&Q to demand to speak to a manager to complain about the 'poor' performance :D

Then home via Aldi to stock up on whatever workzone tools are in the middle isle this week!

I have that one, because I don't need anything better and I don't drill that many holes. It goes through brick like butter, and when I have needed to do concrete far faster than my cordless one, now I wouldn't even bother trying.

It makes DIY much less effort, even given the need to use an extension lead.
(y)
the difference between cordless hammer action and mains SDS action really is chalk and cheese

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back