Can't drill wont drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a block of council flats circa early '70s of concrete frame build. Ages ago i tried putting some blinds in one of the windows with my then non-sds hammer drill to no effect and reasoned that i might be hitting a steel lintel or especially dense area of reinforcement above the windows, i.e. a mini-beam/lintel. This was years ago and in the meantime i've gotten an SDS drill and had cause just now to drill the ceiling again. I thought i'd be a doddle this time i not only had the concrete busting new drill but wasnt even working in the window area.. i was trying to change a ceiling rose over for a new light fitting that needs 4 holes drilling... annnyyywaay..
no go.. no joy. punched loads of test holes and nothing goes more than a bit beyong plaster.. what gives? Even giving it welly all i get is a hot and blackened masonry bit. I tried it on the floor and can drill through that ok.. has anyone heard of anything like a steel plate being in such a ceiling? What can explain this impenetrable barrier?

Sponsored Links
It's possible that you keep hitting steel reinforcing rods in pre-cast reinforced concrete members and/or rafts, but, to ask a stupid question, have you made sure that you're using the power drill on the hammer setting?

Hi yeah i am using the hammer settings.. i'm actually a shuttering chippy by trade so am used to having to drill into src and sometimes dodge bars but this doesn't seem to be the case here.. i mean nothing gets through beyond a really short distance.. doesn't make sense!

Cheap SDS drill with a poorly designed percussion profile?

Cheap soft drill bits?

Have you tried any of the ubiquitous carbide hardened drill bits, for example these ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, and yes.. but would the cheapness make that much difference? I'm using the cheap bits that came with it. Was looking at a Hitachi before but i seem to remember someone linking a good deal on a Dewalt sds drill before..

thinking about it, as they started to wear.. the bits showed that brassy colour.. isn't that carbide tipped?

I am not aware of any steel plates being in these floors. There is steel re-inforcement bars but these are typically 50mm up from the ceiling. There may be the lighting conduit, but you would know about that!

A cheap SDS may perform just like a normal hammer drill, and if the bit is soft or blunt then you will go no where.

Try drilling a smaller hole first and then widen it. If not, then try a metal drill and take the hammer off - see if any metal bits come out. If not, then you would need a better SDS.

In any case, you would need to be careful where you drill so close to the electric rose fitting

Some of the system built towers (after Ronan Point collapse) had steel angle bolted between ceilings/floors and wall panels to stop them falling apart.

IIRC, several types of system built high-rise and low-rise flats and houses have angle iron brackets or cleats at wall/ceiling/floor junctions, but these are confined to the very edge of the panels and no where else

thats what i thought.. even with trick-track i'd be getting what.. 35mm? but as i say loads of holes and none of em got that far... it's near the center of the room so i guess it wont be any angle bracket.. the metal bit sounds a good idea.. i'll try that and a smaller masonry bit and see what happens. If none of those help can anyone give me a link for a good deal on a reasonable sds drill?

Had any luck yet?
Hope you haven't drilled through the conduit feeding the light!

Assuming it's not too late. If your using a steel bit (untipped) to drill the reinforcement bars, drill in a position diagonal to the light position. In other words slightly towards a corner of the room.

This will reduce the chances of hitting the conduit as they should run perpendicular to the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back