Drilling through exterior brick wall - Feels like half the brick is missing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed while drilling into the exterior house wall the other day that on a few bricks i would drill about 3-4cm and the drill would suddenly go all the way in, like half the brick was missing.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and if it is something i should be concerned about?

I was thinking maybe some seriously spalled bricks have been taken out, turned around and put back in but it really doesn't look like they have ever been taken out.

Sponsored Links
on a few bricks i would drill about 3-4cm and the drill would suddenly go all the way in, like half the brick was missing.
1676744994420.png

You found a (core) hole perhaps? :)

Some have an even bigger central hole than that, look up "Dorking Multi" bricks, there are two types, one with three larger oval holes than that one, others with 5 or 6 skinny slots.

I guess this could be a possibility, just i know the bricks used were solid all the way through, unless some of them with holes were used in random places. Judging by the length of the drill bit, i'm pretty sure it was going in further than the full width of the brick as well.

Sponsored Links
when they come in different cuts and batches there might only be a few of that type in use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back