Need to run wire through corner of wall - best approach?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a Ring Pro doorbell/security camera.

My upvc Front door is at the front of a small porch like entrance and so the brickwork carries on into the porch.

doorway.jpg

I need to run the power wire to the Ring unit and whilst I can run it easily through the corner of the doorframe, I'd rather not have to expose the cable since it would be easy to cut it and bypass the security camera.

Can anyone suggest the best option? I'm considering:

1. Drill c.15cm diagonally though the brick corner but I'm concerned about cracking the brick.

2. I could probably drill more easily through the mortar, but this will almost certainly break out a lot of mortar which I'll have to repair and try to match.

Am I missing anything obvious?

I've got an SDS drill and some decent long masonry bits.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can’t see how drilling thru frame will leave any cable exposed? You could mount bell on brickwork and drill straight thru.

Can’t see how drilling thru frame will leave any cable exposed? You could mount bell on brickwork and drill straight thru.

If the doorbell is on the front brickwork and the cable goes through the upvc it will have to run over the exterior corner of the brick and into the doorbell unit. Since this is a security video doorbell if someone walks up and cuts the cable then it's useless. That said, after thinking about it someone could just walk up and stick electrical tape over the camera and achieve the same result!

Cheers looks like I won't need to bother about drilling!

Sponsored Links
Why not just drill through the wall into what ever room is behind, and then route the power supply from there??

Your SDS should easily handle the job, and a bit of trunking and a pattress box to tidy the cables.

While you're drilling you could install CCTV to see who's taping up the door bell camera ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back