Drilling through an external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to drill through an external wall to run a TV aerial. I was planning to drill through the mortar a couple of inches above the damp proof course.

The wall seems to be fairly standard, double brick, 1950s.

Apart from avoiding pipe, wires, and using a masonry bit. Is there anything else I need to consider?

Cam I just seal with plumber's putty?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Drilling inside out is standard practice for a lot of aerial fitters etc. My advice try not to come through on hammer mode as you will almost defiantly blow a bit of brick out and angle down slightly from inside to out to avoid wall run in if the hole didn’t seal properly.

Sponsored Links
I measure from the corner of the nearest window and drill outside to in.

I've had the BT guy and aerial guys both blow brick faces off :(

every second counts when the installer has minutes to do each install, when you're doing it yourself you can take the time to do it properly.
I'd use some frame sealant of a suitable colour rather than plumber's putty, but as long as you enter the hole from below as suggested above, you should be fine. cables are terrible for tracking water where it shouldn't go.

every second counts when the installer has minutes to do each install,

Minutes?! :LOL:

Last time I spoke to a Sky installer they get 120 minutes per install(only 4 per day), even if the customer already had a dish and twin cable (i.e. when people were upgrading to Sky plus and it needed a second cable). My local golf club has a height restriction bar on the car park, so outside the car park is always a few Sky vans and maybe a BT van!!

And any cable or pipe passing through an external wall should have a slight slope from inside to outside to avoid moisture in the wall running towards the inner wall.

A 450mm sds bit (that’s the overall length) should suffice through a double skin wall with insulation: building up with different size bits can aid the process and reduce breakout; drill wider than the aerial cable diameter to avoid problems feeding it through

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back