What fixings to use on a brick slip wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a plasterboard wall that has been faced with 30 mm brick slips. I am wanting to put up a few shelves to hang pans etc off and I am unsure what type of fixings will be best to use for this. Would it be best to drill all the way through the brick slips and into the plaster and use plaster board fixings? Would the brick slips stand up to being drilled or would they likely crack and break? Or should I just drill into the slips and use masonry plugs?

Any advice much appreciated

Attachments

• 15582698836543495136939577095960.jpg
    15582698836543495136939577095960.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 15582699371187282350438964330032.jpg
    15582699371187282350438964330032.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 263
Sponsored Links
Would it be best to drill all the way through the brick slips and into the plaster and use plaster board fixings? Would the brick slips stand up to being drilled or would they likely crack and break?
It would be better not to drill through the brick slips at all if you can possibly avoid it as there is indeed a chance that they may crack (or at least if you must drill through them don't use the drill in impact mode - rotation only will take an age but is far less likely to damage the slips). You also have the question of how thick they are because you will need to use plasterboard plugs which can accommodate a fairly thick wall skin (e.g. 12mm P/B plus maybe 3mm of adhesive and 12mm of slip = 27mm)

Or should I just drill into the slips and use masonry plugs?
I wouldn't do that, either. In either instance you are expecting the brick slips to carry the load on maybe 12mm of material thickness (the plasterboard will offer minimal or zero additional support to a standard masonry plug) which is somewhat less than the 35 to 45mm of bearing you'd expect to have with a brown plug in a brick wall.

Call me risk averse but were I you I'd have installed a plywood patress in the wall (if needs be by removing a section of plasterboard then replacing it after fixing the patress) before fixing the brick slips. Having said that the "horse has well an truly bolted" so to speak, so you need another solution. TBH I don't like fixing skinny metal frames directly onto a rough (not level) surface such as this and I'd prefer to affix a pair of painted softwood battens to the wall to carry the frame instead if at all possible. That would give me some leeway in where my fixings went into the wall. Those fixings I'd install through the mortar joints (not the faces of the brick slips), drilling using a rotation-only drill with a masonry bit, and I'd go for three fixings per batten with something like Fischer PD8 nylon plugs of Fischer DuoTec toggle fixings as I feel that in this case metal fixings could cause problems. These fastenings should also work with the frame directly fixed to the wall face (i.e. without battens) but it may be necessary to redrill the metal frame so that the screw holes line-up with the mortar joints

Thanks for the advice. The brick slips are 30mm thick so guess I'll need to find some fixings that can accommodate the width of the plaster board plus adhesive plus 30mm of brick. Got a feeling this could end up very messy haha

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. The brick slips are 30mm thick so guess I'll need to find some fixings that can accommodate the width of the plaster board plus adhesive plus 30mm of brick. Got a feeling this could end up very messy haha
Those in my post are 50mm long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back