calculate price per sq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am after one of a couple things. First a website that calculates the price of sheet materials by the sq meter, if this is not something that can be done, that is okay, if you can tell me how I should work this out, I mean this part I can work out after I have slept some, as I am too tired to think.

The next thing, I need to know how much cladding I will need for my current project (building a work area/storage shed), I am half covering the back and one side in sheet material, (This won't be seen, and is protected by the weather) I am ether going to use OSB or Plywood, and use a fence paint to seal it. Anyway, the other side and the front area will be seen, but I need to know how much cladding I need, and I am getting my tired head confused here, Different overlaps, widths, lengths and depths are what is confusing me. Again, is there a website that you know of, that easily calculates how many meters I need, or is this something I have to use my maths skills, as I was once really good at maths, not really used the skills I got for a few years, since my first major operation on my leg or first damaged my legs. (I am disabled, and can only do small bits here and there).

Sponsored Links
if you can tell me how I should work this out
Take the price and divide it by the area. To get the area multiply the length by the width. If the length and width are in millimetres, divide them by 1000 first

Example: a sheet of plywood is 2400x1200 mm and is £28.80

The length and width in metres is 2.4x1.2

Multiplying these together is 2.88 square metres

£28.80 divided by 2.88 is £10 per square metre

--

On a typical calculator you might find it easier to divide the price by the length and then divide the result by the width

£28.8 divided by 2.4 divided by 1.2 is 10. On a simple calculator you'll probably see the interim answer of 12 when you press the divide key the second time (28.8 divided by 2.4 is 12)

It doesn't matter whether you do the length or the width first

---

To work out how many lengths of overlapping horizontal something you need to cover an area, you divide the height of the area by the visible height on the overlapping cover.

If an area such as the side of a shed is 2m high and will be covered in cladding that is 120mm high but only 100 mm of it will be visible then you take the 2m (= 2000mm) and divide it by 100mm of visible cladding; you don't include the 20mm that is invisible under the cladding strip above. This means you will need 20 rows of 100mm cladding to cover a 2000mm high surface.

Then you take the width of your shed, eg 5 metres; you need 20 rows of 5 metres of cladding, or in other words 100 linear metres to cover the area. If the cladding were £3 per metre it will cost £300 and be £30 per square metre (because 300 / 2 / 5 is 30)

Last edited:
You need to "design" the building to fit the sizes of materials available eg if the cladding comes in 3.6m lengths don't make your building 3.7m long - nothing worse than scraps. Use something locally sourced so you can buy what you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back