Calculating lighting required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any easy way to calculate the required lighting in a room? Probably using 'some' downlighters or similar in an extension I'm building, which will be linked to an existing room making an 'L' shaped kitchen/diner/lounge.

This room will have 4.5 metres of bi-fold doors along one wall, so quite a bit of natural light during the day.

I will fit under cupboard light under the wall units.

Any thoughts???

Sponsored Links
Try this link if you want to calculate it?
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/light-level-rooms-d_708.html

But if you if you are install downlights, some common rules to follow.
Install between 300mm-1200mm apart, be aware of where wall cupboards are to be installed as this can become dead light and I would give about 900mm from walls. Also spacing will be determined on where your ceiling joists are, as you must give at good distance between wooden joist at fittings. Follow the manufacturers instructions.

Sponsored Links
And be aware that trying to effectively light a room with 2" diameter torches recessed into the ceiling is hard to do - the intrinsic unsuitability of that type of light needs to be worked around by installing lots and lots of them.

So it'll be swiss-cheese-ceiling time.

Also, what's above the extension? What type of roof/ceiling do you have? Can you fit any recessed lights without cutting holes in insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back