Lighting Layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to replace the normal ceiling roses in my kitchen/dining room with downlighters. The room is 19ft X 12.5ft.

See image below: The upside down 'L' on the right represents the worktops. The black spots represent the lights, and the red circles are drawn to estimate the area covered by each light (3ft radius).
Does it look like there will be enough light? The only areas of concern are the top and bottom edges.

There are strip lights under the cupboards so shadows on the worktops won't be a problem.

I intend to use GU10s, and two dimmers, 4 lights on each.

Any comments/suggestions welcome!
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If 400w of lighting (presumably the spots are 50w?) isn't enough for your kitchen then you either have far too big a house or your supply voltage is too low :d

Well at the moment it is two rooms. We're knocking down the wall in between to make one big room.
I haven't used downlighters before, so i just want to make sure i'm not going to get some horrible shadows etc!

Sponsored Links
I haven't used downlighters before
Then why break with tradition? They are horrible.

Surely that's all down to personal opinion. I can't stand those cheap-looking four spot bars that a lot of people seem to have, nor a traditional pendant and shade. It just has to be accepted that downlighters do not provide such even or efficient light as a typical incandescent bulb, but (imo) they look far more modern and are more practical in low-height rooms.

Anyway, back to the OP. I think you will be fine with 8 fittings in a room of that size, my kitchen is about the same length although not quite as wide and I find six fittings to provide more than enough light.

I haven't used downlighters before

Then I recommend that you do what I did and buy some cheap ones and try them out first. There are several options in terms of brightness (and consider the higher efficiency ones too) and beam angle. Also you should consider if you want task lighting or accent lighting or a combination of both (personally I like the effect of wall-washing).

Once you cut holes in the ceiling it is undesirable to change your mind on the positioning!

Hi TTC. You're right, I'm talking a crock here. Having looked at Part B1 it seems that its only in the case of floors above 4.5M
Which makes me wonder why my building inspector seems to think that my ground floor ceiling needs to be fireproof. I must take that up with him!

Hi TTC. You're right, I'm talking a crock here. Having looked at Part B1 it seems that its only in the case of floors above 4.5M
Which makes me wonder why my building inspector seems to think that my ground floor ceiling needs to be fireproof. I must take that up with him!
Ceilings between dwellings, and between a garage and the rest of the house.

Interestingly (? :) ) my next door neighbour had to put a fireproof ceiling in downstairs where there had been a garage before his extension was built, which because of the large glass front, could easily be converted back into a garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back