Fitted dimmer and now light doesnt work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I recently got 4 LED GU10 bulbs for my living room lights, the living room has 2 set of lights, one takes 4 bulbs and the other takes 3 GU10 bulbs. The section which takes 3 GU10 bulbs is my dining area which I also use as a reading area as well. I noticed that the GU10 bulbs were often boring and hard for me to read with especially at night, so I bought dimmable LED GU10 bulbs. I then realised that I got a problem, the dimmer that I got wasnt dimming the LED GU10 bulbs, it kept flickering.

I then went to my electrical supplier who sold me another dimmer switch which they claimed would work with a LED GU10 bulb. I fited this yesterday, lights started to flcker and the dimmer started to make some kind of whining noise. Before I was able to switch off the mains power to disconnect is, I smelt a burning smell and the lights all came off.

Now I took out all the LED bulbs, took out the dimmer, fixed my old dimmer and installed normal halagen GU10 bulbs, and the lights wouldnt work. However the other set of 4 in the centre of the living room works. I have used 2 dimmers that I have and it still doesnt work for the dining area lights.

I used a tester to see if any current was entering the switch, I can see live current by the switch, but no current by the GU10 bulb holder.

Can anyone advice on what could have gone wrong here.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The dimmer module probably has a minimum load requirement, so that's my guess why the LEDS wouldn't dim.

Have you wired in the original dimmer back in correctly?

Yes I have. I followed same wiring as the section which still works and still no luck.

Is the switching part of a multi-way arrangement and you have somehow mixed up the wiring or incorporated two dimmers into a two-way circuit ?

Sponsored Links
Is the switching part of a multi-way arrangement and you have somehow mixed up the wiring or incorporated two dimmers into a two-way circuit ?

Did the wiring as it was before, nothing changed at all from a wiring perspective.

Connected onto L1, L2 blank and connected second cable to the bit with the X written on it.

Same wiring instructions worked for the second set of lights.

try a normal switch on it that will eliminate the dimmer being faulty.

Thanks everyone, turned out that I have 2 x 2 gang/way dimmers and on both of them, only one dimmer works.

So I fitted a 3rd 2 gang/2 way dimmer and now all the lights work.

Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back