Options for single spot light to be dimmer than others?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

We've got a spotlight in our kitchen which is in a recess (under the stairs) and way too bright. We'd like to have it dimmer than the others and just trying to work out options.

Fitting is a GU10 standard downlight with LED bulb and all lights are just switched rather than dimmable.

I've tried searching for low lumen GU10 LED bulbs without much success and not actually sure if such a thing actually exists. My alternative idea is an 'in-line' lamp dimmer (with dimmable bulb of course) set to the right level and popped above the ceiling with the fitting. I'm not 100% on the regulations on this one but in theory it's still an inspectable joint, not enclosed in insulation and is not dissimilar to something like a Rako module designed for this purpose (an alternative but overkill solution).

Is anyone able to suggest 1) a source of low lumen GU10 LED bulbs; 2) whether an in-line dimmer would work; or 3) an alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
... I've tried searching for low lumen GU10 LED bulbs without much success and not actually sure if such a thing actually exists.
How 'low' are you looking for? As you have presumably discovered, ones in the range 3W (about 250 lm) to 7W (about 500 lm) are widely available.

Kind Regards, John

Well some where I have some 0.58 watt LED bulbs I bought in the early days of LED both G5.3 and GU10 I got from PoundWorld, but PoundWorld has now gone, however clearly they were made that small, to be frank more like toys, that was a bit too small.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back