calculating water capacity of heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you calculate the exactly how much water is in your heating system?

I have a conventional boiler with an open vent header tank in the loft, I have 3 (old) Stelrad, double radiators 1600x600 and 2 at 1000x600. I have three single radiators 1400x600 + whatever the hot water coil holds.
I can't find any information on calculating he capacity of these radiators

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is any formula to calculate that, especially if you're thinking of the whole heating system - too many variables. Why do you need to know?

In most cases its about 70-100 litres.

Lower with low water content boiler and higher with cast iron floor mounted boiler!

One can of treatments is adequate.

Tony

I don't think there is any formula to calculate that, especially if you're thinking of the whole heating system - too many variables. Why do you need to know?

We have a porch that has a small rad in it, I noticed last night with the heating off the temperature got to just 1 degree C, so thinking about adding antifreeze. Looks like a very expensive exercise as if my system is around 100ltrs I need 20-25 litres of antifreeze at around £30 per 5litr! - why is it 3x the price of car antifreeze I ask myself!

Sponsored Links
Do you badly need to heat the porch? Drain rad?

Probably expensive because its used by those with holiday homes so the wealthy!

Tony

We had this added because we use the porch to hang coats and kick off muddy boots etc (farm workers in the family!) so it a good place for them to dry and keep dirt out of the main living area as our hall is small.

I am told that you can buy something that will automatically switch your heating on if the temperature hits 5c but not sure if that would be compatible with our older boiler (Ideal Clasic RS50)

Additional to - designed to fire up the heating when the temp drops low. Should be relatively straightforward to fit.

It needs to be fitted to bypass the programmer and room thermostat.

Ideally needs to be positioned in the porch!

If its easier you could use a standard wireless stat.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back