Camera image rotation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've got a digital photo frame which displays photos off a USB stick but have a problem with the orientation of the images. I've done a bit of 'Googling' and I understand that most digital cameras and image software these days use 'EXIF' data attached to digital images to display the image the right way around. All well and good, but my digital photo frame clearly does not....

The question therefore is, how do I rotate the images so they display correctly on the digital photo frame. I know how to rotate images, but when I put the USB stick into my pc, all the images are displayed subject to the EXIF data and so appear the correct way around, so I don't know which ones need to be rotated for the benefit of the digital photo frame.

It's possible to rotate the images on the photo frame, but its a long-winded method, and doesn't appear to save the changes, so if I rotate them on there, then add more photos to the USB stick, it then returns all the images to their original orientation.

I guess I need some PC software that will display the images ignoring the exif tags. Any ideas? Or can I do this within Windows 10, perhaps there is a setting somewhere?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Most of my images are taken in RAW format 10 Mp or 16 Mp depending on camera, once processed they can end up even larger where often 3 images are combined either for high dynamic range or panorama by to display images the camera club projector I have to resize pictures to no more than 1400 pixels wide by 1050 pixels high so I use a program called FastStone Photo Resizer which will batch resize the photos. I think this also makes the resized photo show as selected in the program, although since the camera tends to auto correct, there are very few images which need correcting, however setting to photo frame maximum size means fast transitions, and more pictures on the stick so well worth reducing anyway.

I know any picture opened in photoshop and rotated then saved will retain orientation, I would get the free software Gimp will do the same, in general terms the only down side of Gimp is it only works with 8 bit photos, 12 and 14 bit RAW files it will not touch, however RawTherapee will handle the RAW images and turn them to 8 bit. So between those and Picturenaut for HDR and Hugin for panorama there is very little you can't do for free.

I will admit if you want to work with Photoshop and Photomatix there are far better instruction sets on the net on how to do things, and generally it's easier, but there is really very little you can't do with Gimp, and Gimp will open photoshop format images, but photoshop will not open Gimp format images. The special format in both cases saves layers so you can continue working on the image at a latter date, once finished it's normal in both cases to save as Jpeg or similar.

Sponsored Links
IrfanView. Great for batch work too, and for keeping the metadata dates unchanged.

Nozzle

Back