Cameras set to catch side-street speeders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
LINK
This could be seen as making unfair distinction between residents and others passing through - ( private roads are not cheap ) - I reckon most speeding in the low limit area is by actual residents.... What about the old chestnut about 'most accidents happen within 5 miles of home' .. Or has that now been swept under that bulging carpet?
Local residents within the zone, either returning home or out going can not be 'averaged' for speed as they would generally pass only one camera.

I guess vehicle 'speed limiters' as optional extras will soon become standard... ;)

Has anyone else noticed how we seem to be living under constant threat?

What a way to run a country.... Let the real crims out and bu-qq-er the people who pay for it all !

:confused:

Sponsored Links
If it stops kids getting run over then isn't that a good thing?

joe

Wonderful -- Not a safe play area in the road - is it?
I am not about speeding ... I am thinking these methods are removing people from the job of enforcement .. Once gone we will not get them back.
Witness the advent of Panda cars .... the loss of the local beat policeman .. If we appear (how?) to be convinced that cameras are the answer then that is all we will get... It has a rubbish future.. It is big brother now !
:D

Kids have to cross roads. If some idiot is doing 40 mph then it's up to the kid to judge that speed. If they get it wrong.....

joe

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
Kids have to cross roads. If some idiot is doing 40 mph then it's up to the kid to judge that speed. If they get it wrong.....

joe
I cant decide whether you are for or against the idea, but there was a time (when I was a lad, and im only 20), when kids were SCARED of cars, and wouldn't go near a road. Now kids seem to ONLY walk on the ROAD. They have no respect for the damage that a car can do. I blame the parents.

And idiots zooming along in their barely-recognisable Vauxhall Corsas with bodykits etc and stereo "pumpin' out the beats" - how are they meant to be able to see a child in the road / concentrate on the road?

BAN the sale of equipment to make engines stupidly fast
BAN the sale of loud exhausts
BAN the sale of Max Power
BAN the sale of huge stupid stereo equipment

Oops - sorry, going off at a tangent here

I am against the idea, because doing 20 in 20 zones is very rare - its very difficult to maintain 20 on a long straight road . . . money making scheme.

Also, how are they going to work out losses due to stopping for junctions in the 20 zone?

times online said:
Although cameras that measure average speed over a set distance cause a much greater reduction in crashes than conventional Gatsos, some speed camera partnerships have been reluctant to install them because they do not generate enough £60 penalties

Good eh?

Not just there for making money?

Pah

Back