Camray 5 oil boiler, water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i have a camray 5 oil boiler which supplies both my heating and hot water. I only need the heating on for a couple of hours per day but my question is regarding the hot water, is it best to leave the setting at 'on' for the water all day so the tank remains hot all the time or is it best just to have the water coming on for a couple of hours and reheating what quite often can be a full tank of cold water? hopefully this question is clear and any answers would be much appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
What is the insulation level on the HW cylinder? Normally if little hot water was to be drawn off during the day, I'd personally have the HW on 'Twice' to heat the cylinder morning and evening, so hot water is available at times required for washing up, bathing etc. Heat loss during the day from a well insulated cylinder shouldn't be massive.

It is a relatively recent cylinder , only about 8 years old, we use quite a bit of hot water so most days the tank is almost emptied of HW so that is what got me wondering if it would be better to have the system on to keep it hot or have to heat the whole tank of cold water.

I leave mine on all day, from 7 in the morning to 11 at night. My daughter loves her baths, so each time she fills the tub, the cylinder needs to be reheated. If its a modern cylinder on a fully pumped system, reheat should be fairly rapid anyway, but if you're using hot water through the day I'd be leaving it on to top up as required.

Sponsored Links
If you have adequate controls the boiler will not fire unless there is a demand. It also depends on the cylinder recovery rate.

Thanks very much for your advice everyone, i think I'll change the settings so it is on most of the day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back